Gynecomastia or Moobs or man boobs
Gynecomastia or Moobs or man boobs as they are called are not rare and in fact one in three males suffers from the condition.
They make many men’s lives miserable and cause a lack of confidence and embarrassment especially when wearing tight shirts and they are more noticeable when bending over. Most men feel depressed and instead of trying to make themselves look better they do the opposite and give up on themselves. Unfortunately this only makes the breasts appear larger. Imagine if you never had to worry about what to wear and could take your shirt off with self-confidence. Male breast reduction surgery at Cedar House can help to give you achieve a flatter and firmer, more masculine chest.
Why do you get them?
- Most signs of gynecomastia appear in the teens during puberty but it may not appear until much later. This condition may be gone within 2 years if this is the case. This is true of 75% of young men.
- While overweight men can have gynecomastia, much of their enlarged breast problem can come from being overweight. Losing weight Can rev up your metabolism and help burn excessive fat in your body although patients are often left with sagging excess skin.
- Drinking alcohol reduces testosterone and raises oestrogen, causing breasts to often enlarge. For the very same reason men have trouble getting an erection if they’ve been drinking. Marijuana does the same. Reducing consumption of alcohol and marijuana can help.
- Steroids and anabolic steroids can cause gynecomastia and again elimination can help.
- Another large number of men will begin noticing breast tenderness or large breasts as they reach andropause (male menopause). In the majority of cases, once a male reaches his 40’s he begins to gain weight. Andropause is caused by the body producing less testosterone and allows the body’s oestrogen to enhance feminine characteristics such as gynaecomastia.
As with any cosmetic procedure it is important to review your expectations thoroughly before you decide to proceed. Our Consultant Surgeon Mr Stewart Good will explain the results you can expect after male breast reduction surgery, and will discuss the associated risks and alternatives to the procedure beforehand.
- Bodytite uses patented RFAL technology to deliver deep gentle heating precisely to the soft tissue being contoured. It gently melts and then removes excess glandular tissue and fat with suction through a tiny incision in an inconspicuous location. By melting the fat the removal is a far less traumatic process. This reduces pain, swelling or discomfort after the treatment. It is less invasive than traditional liposuction and creates significant skin tightening.
- The operation can take from 1-2 hours and is performed as a day case. You will need to plan your time off work to recover and factor in that you will be required to wear a compression garment for 6 weeks post-surgery.
- Bodytite is a minimally invasive treatment that can give you the body you want without the pain and risk of major surgery and without the need for general anaesthetic.
- Downtime is minimal and you can go back to your daily routine within a day or two. Expect some bruising and swelling. Don’t go back to heavy exercise for a week or two and avoid contact sports for 4-6 weeks.