Gynecomastia (male boobs ‘MOOBS’)
Gynecomastia (male boobs ‘MOOBS’)
What causes gynecomastia?
There are four grades of gynecomastia, depending on how much swelling and excess skin you have—so the good news is your blossoming bosom may be on the mild side.
In some cases, male breasts stem from overall obesity, known as pseudogynecomastia, wherein bigger boobs are from fat deposits and not enlargement of the actual breast glands.
But the most common cause of gynecomastia is a hormonal imbalance that leads to your estrogen levels going up and/or testosterone levels going down.
Your hormones are regulated by something called the Hypothalamic-Pituitary axis (H-P axis), a complex set of interactions among the three endocrine glands responsible for producing and controlling hormones: the hypothalamus and the pituitary gland in your brain, and the adrenal gland near your kidneys. “The body naturally tries to be in a hormonal homeostatic state of balancing,” Kominiarek explains.
But the H-P axis is responsible for over 30 hormones and their metabolites, and certain factors or events can cause this axis to fail, like radiation, chemotherapy, autoimmune diseases, toxin exposure, alcoholism, illicit drug abuse, genetics, and traumatic brain injury.
Outside of these events, there are a handful of habits you may not realize are throwing your hormones off balance and are encouraging your breasts to get bigger.
Surgical Treatment of Gynecomastia:
Gynecomastia surgery is the most definitive gynecomastia treatment option when nothing else is able to permanently get rid of gynecomastia. In this type of gynecomastia treatment, a patient works with a surgeon specialising in the treatment of gynecomastia and will arrive at a consensus on what the chest shape and contour will be after gynecomastia surgery. Gynecomastia surgery entails the removal of fat from the breasts which will be conducted under Local Anaesthetic. During the procedure, the surgeon makes a small incision around the nipple and either performs liposuction:
- LIPOSUCTION: During the procedure, the surgeon vacuums the fat out of the breast to reduce the size.
After surgery you will be required to wear post-operative garments, which will aid faster recovery and a satisfactory final result.
Some results will be visible straight after the procedure. There will be a visible improvement and reduction in the chest shape. However, the final results will be visible within 2 weeks – 2 months.
The Next Steps:
- First you would need a consultation appointment to discuss your individual needs with our Surgeon. This appointment lasts for approx. 30 minutes where the Surgeon will discuss all possible treatment options.
This appointment is chargeable at £50.00
- If you decide to go ahead with the procedure then we will need to measure you for your after surgery garment and go through both pre and post operative care.
- If you proceed for surgery then we will book you an appointment to have the procedure carried out. You will need to ensure you have someone to accompany you for the procedure as you will not be able to drive and you will also need someone to stay with you for 24 hours after the procedure has been carried out.
- A follow-up appointment would be required one week following the procedure to remove any stitches.
The price for Gynecomastia surgery start from £4000.00 excluding the price of after surgery garments.
Any garment required will be an additional cost and these start from £100.00